Friday, May 11, 2007

Long Post.........

Well i got prompted to update this blog and due to the fact that at least one person reads it i felt obliged to make a very hearltfelt and honest post.

From early in the year i had a gut instinct/feeling that 2007 wasnt going to be as rosy.
Although i withdrew a load of cash throughout 2006 maybe about £60-70k i squandered nearly everything, depositing about £2-4k at a time and sometimes doing the lot in a few days on daft horse racing bets or fancy clothes, meals in top restaurants trips abroad, etc... with an air of invincibility i felt that i could do this and keep winning on a weekly basis as i proved (short-term varience) in my 1st 2 years as a pro.
I got so used to tribeca as a site i knew all the players off by heart, new every tourney like the back of my hand and felt confident i could win any tourney or stt i sat down at with consumate, naiive ease. Recently alas, i have found that this is not as easy on other sites where the competition is greater than the great fishpond that was tribeca(R.I.P lol)

So when Green Joker Poker made the inevitable transition to playtech i decided to test the waters of other sites, having played on playtech and not liking it one bit.

First i tried Crypto and had some good sucess on £2/5nl making my starting roll of £1000 into nealy £5000 in the first couple of weeks. This hot streak seemed only to be momentary as maost of that roll went within the dying weeks of january. I realised that Mtt's were my game and decided to play the Crypto mtt's £50f/o and £25/fo and most of the pokerstars biggies, $100rb etc......

As i hadn't gone over 3 weeks in the past 2 years without winning an onlin mtt for $2k+ the cold-run was a relatively new thing and i didnt know how to respond. Many pro's would say take a few weeks off and acsess the situation, however when you have barely anything in the bank, know your running really bad, and are eager to 'make things right' this is easier said than done.

I continued to play Mtt's throughout the day and night, often not leaving the house for days on end. Around february I won a seat to Cardiff gukpt, the last comp i won on tribeca, and i was keen to put in a good performance. At the same time i was running badly i decided to take a trip to iceland, which was a bad idea as i was still rueing my luck while i was there, pondering my play and possible mistakes etc....

A few weeks after we got back it was time for cheltenham races in which i made a vital error of not listening to my mates uncle 'johnny lights' advice and felt the pain as i had to stay in the gold cup night as my money had finaly run out.

A week later i had just about enough money to make it to cardiff for the gukpt. It was Final Straw time, i had a visa with about £4k limit so i still had enought to get hotel etc.... at this time i had about £500 in Crypto and $1200 in stars, which was my biggest low-bankroll point ever.

I arrived in cardiff a day early and met Gregior, pab and a few other lads i have met through internet poker and like a twat managed do my brains £4k visa on roulette, while pissed. I wasnt even down to play poker until the next day. I borrowed £500 off a good mate of mine which i am still to pay back as my stars roll went south after Dave colclogh spiked a club in a coinflip after the flop in a coup which would have seen me back to an amount of chips i feel i could have played my game with.

When i got back home i continued to persue the online mtt's thinking that the big win is just around the corner, but as most of you know bad form/running bad breeds bad confidence and often this can affect your game, I began playing with fear and eventually lost all my rolls mid-way through april.

This, strange as it seems, was a relief to me as the pressure on my shoulders was nearly at breaking point. I knew i was good enough to win mtt's at the highest level and cured the form id had over the previous months, I also cursed my naivety in thinking i was never going to have a bad spell, also my carefree spending.

WHAT NOW?

Well i applied for the dtd trader scheme and they took me on, in the first two weeks ive made about £1200 on the 25p/50p nl tables, i am looking to get the position of manager at a local rileys snooker hall for a bit as think i need a bit of stability in order for my A game to come to the fore. I feel i have lost a bit of pride, i have never been academicaly gifted, no qualifications to speak of, poker was the only thing i was good at and it the recent events have really knocked me for 6. My plan now is to make some money on the trader scheme, get a regular job and play poker as a hobby for now. My plan still is to becaome a pro one day but with the right bankroll, motivation, and above all discipline. I know i am good enough, i just need to play in a pressure free envioronment for a while and play my A game.

I hope that i can focus for a while and motivate myself to get back on track A.S.A.P
thanks to all those who have given me support, help and advice over these trechourous times, there is one thing or sure, ill still be attending events here and there. Clam has been knocked but hopefully i will come back refreshed and better than ever.

Best regards
rick

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright mate, i have never posted on your blog however i have been checking it most weeks in the hope that you had made a recovery. i have also lost a shed load of money since the death of tribecca and can honestly say that i have felt lost since its migration.

i have had to make many changes to my game and feel that i am beinging to recover however i have a long way to go. i hope that you can regain your confidence and return to winning ways. gl with everything mate.

SS

10:58 PM  
Blogger D Owen said...

Hey Rick, I asked you on Blonde the other day about the blog under 'The Jigsaw'... Anyway, interesting read, glad your so honest about things... I don't think you should be embarrassed or ashamed at all by admitting you've blown your bankroll, these things happen, but I doubt its through your MTT play which ive seen and cant be faulted really... I remember reading in 1 of your posts a while back that you were sticking with MTT's and ditching cash!!!! A bit of stability should do you good and 99% of ppl would LOVE to make anything above £40,000 a year in a job they enjoy in life, just stay away from the devils wheel and i'm sure when you look back in years to come this might do you the world of good... Look forward to the next post, GL...

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck in the recovery claimer, Your honesty about the losses is refreshing to hear in the poker world.

P.S. Keep updating the blog, your a good writer.

9:51 AM  
Blogger LeKnave said...

Gl with the comeback, im sure ul be on ur feet again soon.

Dave.

1:20 PM  
Blogger BH said...

Good and Honest post.

GL in the future.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick

Good to meet you in Cardiff. Thought about a few things to write in here but I guess you have probably heard most of it before.

I have been broke a couple of times since I started playing for a living and both times I was playing multi tourneys. The variance involved makes them a pretty horrible existence sometimes. If you add in that like yourself I have spending habits that would make posh spice sick, it doesnt take long to squander a bankroll.

My advice...

1. The d2d trader scheme is a brilliant starting point for you to learn cash games and start to make some proper solid income money. I quit playing MTTs 15 months ago and I dont miss the variance one bit.
Be a sponge for as much information as you can get on NL cash...pokertracker, twoplustwo forums, cardrunners etc. I can tell by your post you are hungry to get back into it. Keep detailed records of sessions, players and always look to improve.

2. Seriously consider whether this Rileys job is for you, it will be hard to commit when you still have poker on your brain. I would take time to really give the D2D trader scheme a shot.

3. Get life balance. Work out how much you spend each month, commit to playing x amount of poker, have a couple of nights out a week with the lads (sunday and a weeknight). Basically get your shit in order again. It will take a couple of months to get on top of but the hard work will be well worth it.

4. Get a round in the next time we meet.


Good luck.

1:01 AM  
Blogger M3boy's Poker Blog said...

You will be back m8 - of that I am sure.
Cash is where the money is m8, online MTT's have moved towards "Luck" rather than "Skill" - even Pab has said this on his blog.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home